Chablis Grand Cru
Appellation Grand Cru
100 % Chardonnay.
Kimmeridgian clay and limestone.
Average age of the vines
Fermented in 1-2 year-old oak barrels
15-18 months in barrel on fine lees.
Between 12° & 14°C.
Les Clos is the most extensive Grand Cru plot, and is situated on top of a south/south-westerly facing hill. The depth of the soil produces a wine of consistent quality that always takes a while to develop.
Tasting and food pairings
It is a wine of unique character - mineral and concentrated, with developing aromas of honey, citrus fruits and spices including cinnamon. It is always very complex on both the nose and palate, and has a clear golden-green colour. Initially very closed, this wine always develops exceptionally well over time without losing its minerality. It is the most masculine and uniquely characterful of the Grand Cru wines that require ageing. The king of the Grands Crus appellation: a rich, luscious wine with great complexity of flavours. The wine, above all other, for keeping.
Drink with: grilled fish or fish in sauce, grilled white meats or white meats in crem-based sauces.
Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2019 - 96 pts - James Suckling - July 2021 Chablis Grand Cru "les Clos" 2019 - 86 pts - IWSC 2021 winnersChablis Grand Cru "Les Clos 2019" - Wine enthusiast Buying Guide - 96/100 ptsChablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 95/100
- Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2019 - 96 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Stunning depth and ripeness with slightly exotic character (flowers, herbs and fruit), plus some melted butter. Full-bodied, but very elegant, the intense minerality driving this along. Intense, salty finish. Drink or hold.
- Chablis Grand Cru "les Clos" 2019 - 86 pts - IWSC 2021 winners
- Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos 2019" - Wine enthusiast Buying Guide - 96/100 pts
While weighty and a bit impenetrable in youth, this powerful Chablis balances rich pear and tangerine flavors against a backdrop of stone and steel. Vinified in one to two year old oak barrels and matured up to 18 months on its lees, it's a broad-shouldered sip accented by caramelized honey and white pepper. Hold until 2025, and it should gain delicacy and nuance through 2035. Louis Latour Inc. Cellar Selection. -A.I.
- Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2018 - James Suckling - 94 points
Aromas of waxed lemon, apricot, dried apple and a touch of praline, followed by almonds on the palate. It's medium-bodied with crisp acidity and a smooth, almost waxy texture. Flavorful and dense with lingering, toasted-almond notes. Subtle and very long. Drink or hold.
- Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2017 - James Suckling - February 2019 - 96/100Some very exotic fruit with ripe peaches, mangoes and melon, as well as notes of lemons, grapefruit and flinty minerals. The palate has a vibrant sleeve of acidity that creates attractive tension and density. A very powerful wine that needs time. Try from 2022.
- Chablis Grand Cru Clos 2014 - Wine Advocate
The 2014 Chablis Grand Cru les Clos, which is aged 50% in barrel and 50% in stainless steel for 18 months, has an airy and detailed bouquet with apple blossom and fresh pear scents, unfurling nicely in the glass. The palate is well balanced with sappy red apple and pear notes, fine mineralité. Drink 2017-2029.
- Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2016 - Burghound.com - October 2018 - 90/100
There is just enough wood present to warrant mentioning that frames super-fresh aromas of white orchard fruit, citrus and ocean breeze. The bigger and most powerful flavors are also more evidently mineral-inflected while delivering acceptable but not distinguished length on the dry and clean finish that also reflects some tropical influence. This is perfectly good but it needs to develop better depth to ascend to the next level. 90/2022+
- Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2016 |91-100 - Tim Atkin - January 2018
- Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2016 |90-100 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018
- Chablis Grand Cru "Les Clos" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 95/100The richest and most complex of the 2016 Simonnet-Febvre Chablis with a hint of butterscotch and a lot of flinty character. The longer it aerates, the more that comes through. Very long, complete finish. Drink or hold..
- Chablis Les Clos 2014 - 92/100- Wine Spectator - May 2017Tightly knit and expressive, delivering apple, melon, honey, and mineral flavors, this white is fresh and long with a detailed aftertaste of apple and mineral. Drink now through 2023.
- Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2014 - Bottin Gourmand - Décembre 2017Avec 25 hectares. Les Clos est le plus vaste climat grand
cru de Chablis et l'un des plus qualitatifs. Un chablis de caractère, minéral, dense
et généreux, qui décline au nez comme en bouche des arômes d'agrumes sur fond
de miel et de cannelle. Très beau potentiel de garde.
Idéal en accord avec...Foie gras, Homards et langoustes grillés, Écrevisses, Poissons fins en sauce crémée, Viandes blanches, volailles à la crème, Huîtres.
- Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos 2012 - Challenges - Décembre 2017Un chablis comme on les aime, droit et légèrement iodé, non dénué de générosité, avec une belle richesse aromatique sur des notes d'agrumes et un boisé (vanille) qui devrait être rapidement digéré. Les grands crus de Chablis demandent un peu de temps avant de livrer tout leur potentiel.