Chablis Premier Cru
Appellation Premier Cru
Average age of the vines
Stainless steel tank, fermentation between 17 and 21°C
On fine lees for 12 months
4 to 6 years
10 à 12°C
Montmains is the middle mountain located at an intermediate altitude between two higher coasts. This climate is exposed to the south / southeast on the left bank of the Serein. The Montmains form a set of varied terrains, in a fairly low area to watch out for as it is very sensitive to spring frosts.
Tasting and food pairings
The very example of the mineral terroir. Nice tension and wonderful length. The nose reveals notes of citrus and flint. The palate, tense and clean, ends with a very pure minerality.
Serving suggestions: seafood, snails, smoked fish.
Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2019 - 93 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Brimming with ripe citrus and discreet oak, plus a touch of flint, making this an immediately appealing Chablis 1er. Nice, creamy texture on the mid-palate, then it glides into a long, salty-mineral finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink or hold.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2019 - 91 pts - IWSC 2021 winners
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100
A more citrusy expression with lime and lemon and some flinty, chalky notes. The palate has a very fleshy, ripe and juicy feel with good freshness, too. Flavorsome peaches and a mineral edge to close.
- Chablis 1er Cru Montmains 2018 - James Suckling - 91 points
Aromas of sliced apple, lemon zest, dried apricot and flint. It's medium-bodied with tangy acidity and a saline, flavorful finish. From organically grown grapes. Drink or hold.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montmains" 2017 - James Suckling - February 2019 - 92/100There's attractive, bright fruit on offer here, in the ripe-mango, peach and nectarine zone. Attractive wild flowers, too. The palate has a super succulent core of vibrant acidity with a wealth of fresh mangoes and peaches. Long, smooth finish. Drink now.
- Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 1er Cru « Montmains » 2015 - 92/100 Simonnet-Febvre Chablis 1er Cru « Montmains » 2015 - 92/100 - James Suckling - April 2017
Straw and sliced-apple character. Full-bodied, layered and beautiful with light pears and apples. Alcohol pops out at end. Traditional style. Drink now.
- Chablis Premier Cru Montmains 2014 - Wine Spectator - 88/100Shows flavors of ripe, tropical fruit, but also an underlying stony element. Overall, this is loosely knit and moderately long. Drink now.
- Chablis Premier Cru Montmains 2014 - Wine Advocate - 91/100.
The 2014 Chablis 1er Cru Montmains, raised for 12 months in stainless steel, has a crisp and precise bouquet: apple blossom and fresh pear laced with slate-like aromas. The palate is fresh and crisp with a keen line of acidity, vibrant and energetic with a nicely poised finish that lingers in the mouth. This is worth seeking out. Drink 2016-2025.
- Chablis Premier Cru Montmains 2014 - International Wine Challenge 2016 - Silver medal
- Chablis Premier Cru Montmains 2014 - Decanter World Wine Awards 2016 - Bronze medal - 89 points