Chablis Premier Cru
Mont de Milieu
Appellation Premier Cru
Average age of the vines
Stainless steel tanks between 17° and 21°C.
12 months in stainless steel, on lees.
4 to 8 years.
Between 10° - 12°C.
On the right bank of the Serein, the Mont de Milieu is named because it separated the dukedoms of the Burgundy and Champagne region in the past. This famous Premier Cru benefits from a similar location of its Grand Cru neighbours - a south / south-easterly exposure. This exposure guarantees the Mont de Milieu a higher than average temperature and longer hours of sunshine with a certainty of quality.
Tasting and food pairings
The Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2021 is a wine with a pale yellow color. Its nose is complex, combining notes of ripe fruit and mineral nuances. Its mouth is round and presents mineral notes.
To serve with seafood, scallops, fish in sauce, white meat, and sweetbreads.
Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2021 - James Suckling - July 2023 - 94/100Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2021 - Vert de Vin - June 2023 - 16.5 / 93Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100
- Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2021 - James Suckling - July 2023 - 94/100
Intense lemon curd and yellow grapefruit aromas plus delicate notes of herbs and flint are married to a surprisingly powerful body and a very crisp acidity that drives this over the palate at a brisk clip. Long chalky finish. Drinkable now, but best from 2024.
- Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2021 - Vert de Vin - June 2023 - 16.5 / 93
The nose is beautifully fresh, fruity, elegant, harmonious and offers a good definition. It reveals notes of quince, crushed nectarine and small notes of bright small fruits associated with lemony touches, fine hints of honeysuckle, lime as well as discreet hints of flint and a subtle hint of fresh almond. The palate is fruity, well-balanced and offers juiciness, a beauFful mineral/acidulous frame, gourmandize, elegance, a melodious side, tension, precision as well as a beautiful definition. On the palate this wine expresses notes of quince, crushed vine peach and small notes of lime associated with fine touches of zest, white flowers as well as a subtle hint of quenette and discreet hints of flint / racy minerality. Good length. Presence of fine saline hints and good bitterness on the finish/persistence.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2020 - Wine Spectator Buying Guide - February 2023 - 90/100
Bright and zesty, evoking lemon, apple, butterscotch and stone flavors. Fluid and succulent on the finish, where the butterscotch note echoes. Fine length. Drink now through 2028.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2020 - Wine Review Online - Dec 2022 - 93/100
More elegant, befitting a 1er Cru, the floral, mineral-y "Mont de Milieu" dances on the palate. This lovely, lacey wine is a delight to drink now with simply grilled fish.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2020 - July 2022 - James Suckling - 93/100
This 2020 Chablis Premier Cru is not alone in having some exotic-floral aromas (think hibiscus) and quite a rich texture on the palate, but the special, chalky minerality of this appellation easily balances the ripe orange and melon fruit on the medium-bodied palate. Emphatically dry finish. Drink or hold.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2019 - 93 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Attractive balance of creaminess and ripe acidity on the medium-bodied palate. Lovely interplay of
floral-honey and chalky character on the generous finish. Drink or hold.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100
Very nicely honed nose and palate with some glossy hints and good richness of pears and peaches, as well as some more exotic mango nuances. This has good length and evenness.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - October 2019 - 89/100There is a vague whiff of the exotic to the lightly pineapple and lychee nut-suffused aromas of quinine and seaweed. The round, supple and relatively forward medium-bodied flavors are succulent to the point of being juicy, all wrapped in a mildly warm finish. I found this to be perfectly good if a bit fruity for my taste. 89/2022+
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - James Suckling - February 2019 - 92/100A very light and fresh nose with a cool, stony mineral edge. The palate is super plush and smoothly rendered with bright, fleshy fruit, carrying long and even. Great tension here. Try from 2021.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - Burghound.com - October 2018 - 90/100
(from yileds of only 13 hl/ha in 2016). A mildy exotic nose of white peach and passion fruit leads to racy, intense and markedly stony medium weight flavors that possess excellent drive on the youthfully austere, clean and linear finish. 90/2022+
- Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100Although this is still a little closed, this is an impressive Premier Cru Chablis that has a lot of charm. It also has a serious structure and a very long, clean, lemony finish. The minerality creeps up on you right at the back. Drink or hold.
- Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2015 - The Buyer - February 2018 "It is complex, mineral, a bit tropical, multi-layered, it has everything." This is a site that has high elevation and is at its best in a solar vintage like 2015 where the ripeness can be just right but still fresh.
- Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2014 - 91/100 - Wine Spectator - May 2017Round in profile, this charming white reveals peach, floral, and lemon flavor, with a hint of herb. Vivid and full of citrus tanginess on the finish. Drink now through 2022.
- Chablis Premier Cru Mont de Milieu 2014 - Wine Advocate - 90/100.
The 2014 Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu has an uncomplicated green apple and slate scented bouquet that needs just a little more vigor. The palate is fresh on the entry, slightly bitter with a waxy texture, hints of passion fruit and dried honey towards the finish. Difficult to fathom at the moment, there is nevertheless satisfying substance here and the saline finish is very appreciated.