Chablis Premier Cru
Mont de Milieu
Appellation Premier Cru
100 % Chardonnay.
Average age of the vines
Stainless steel tanks between 17° and 21°C.
12 months in stainless steel, on lees.
Between 10° & 12°C.
On the right bank of the Serein, the Mont de Milieu is so named because it separated the dukedoms of the Burgundy and the Champagne region in the past. This famous Premier Cru benefits from a similar location of its Grand Cru neighbours: a South/ South Easterly exposure. This exposure guarantees the Mont de Milieu a higher average temperature and longer hours of sunshine with a certainty of quality.
Tasting and food pairings
This is a mineral and complex wine of a high quality level. It is dry, firm and austere and hence it needs to be aged for a while.
When the wine has been aged it develops more aromas such as: candied fruits, vanilla, hazelnuts, toasted bread, with buttery notes and hints of tobacco.
Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - October 2019 - 89/100Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - James Suckling - February 2019 - 92/100Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2018 - James Suckling - USA - 91/100
Very nicely honed nose and palate with some glossy hints and good richness of pears and peaches, as well as some more exotic mango nuances. This has good length and evenness.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - Burghound.com - USA - October 2019 - 89/100There is a vague whiff of the exotic to the lightly pineapple and lychee nut-suffused aromas of quinine and seaweed. The round, supple and relatively forward medium-bodied flavors are succulent to the point of being juicy, all wrapped in a mildly warm finish. I found this to be perfectly good if a bit fruity for my taste. 89/2022+
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2017 - James Suckling - February 2019 - 92/100A very light and fresh nose with a cool, stony mineral edge. The palate is super plush and smoothly rendered with bright, fleshy fruit, carrying long and even. Great tension here. Try from 2021.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - Burghound.com - October 2018 - 90/100
(from yileds of only 13 hl/ha in 2016). A mildy exotic nose of white peach and passion fruit leads to racy, intense and markedly stony medium weight flavors that possess excellent drive on the youthfully austere, clean and linear finish. 90/2022+
- Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100Although this is still a little closed, this is an impressive Premier Cru Chablis that has a lot of charm. It also has a serious structure and a very long, clean, lemony finish. The minerality creeps up on you right at the back. Drink or hold.
- Chablis Premier Cru "Mont de Milieu" 2015 - The Buyer - February 2018 "It is complex, mineral, a bit tropical, multi-layered, it has everything." This is a site that has high elevation and is at its best in a solar vintage like 2015 where the ripeness can be just right but still fresh.
- Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu 2014 - 91/100 - Wine Spectator - May 2017Round in profile, this charming white reveals peach, floral, and lemon flavor, with a hint of herb. Vivid and full of citrus tanginess on the finish. Drink now through 2022.
- Chablis Premier Cru Mont de Milieu 2014 - Wine Advocate - 90/100.
The 2014 Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu has an uncomplicated green apple and slate scented bouquet that needs just a little more vigor. The palate is fresh on the entry, slightly bitter with a waxy texture, hints of passion fruit and dried honey towards the finish. Difficult to fathom at the moment, there is nevertheless satisfying substance here and the saline finish is very appreciated.