Chablis Premier Cru
"Montée de Tonnerre"
Appellation Premier Cru
100 % Chardonnay
Kimmeridgian clay & limestone
Average age of the vines
Fermented in stainless steel tank, between 17°C and 21°C
12 months on fine lees
Between 10° & 12°C
This vineyard found on the right-hand bank of the Serein river has a south-westerly aspect. This area produces an unusual wine of exceptional quality and mineral purity that ages well.
Tasting and food pairings
The Chablis Premier Cru "Montée de Tonnerre" 2017, with a pale green colour and gold reflections, is a wine representative of the Chablisian terroir combining floral aromas (acacia flowers) and minerality (brought by the limestone soil of the Kimméridgien). It is both elegant and subtle in its scent of white flowers as well as straight and taut to the very marked iodine finish. This wine requires ageing.
Drink with: grilled langoustines, fish in sauce, white meats
- Chablis 1er "Montée de Tonnerre" 2019 - 94 pts - James Suckling - July 2021
Very classic nose with delicate citrus-blossom and floral-honey notes. Very elegant with a finely etched medium body and a very long, salty yet refined finish. Just beginning to open up. Drink or hold.
- Chablis 1er Cru "Montée de Tonnerre" 2016 - Burghound.com - October 2018 - 90/100
There is better Chablis typicity to the aromas of pear, iodine and mineral reduction. As is often the case, the medium-bodied flavors are finer if slightly less intense on the equally stony citrus-infused finale. 90/2022+
- Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre 2016 |90/100 - The World of Fine Wine - March 2018 A premier cru that can
taste like a grand cru, especially in 2016, its high altitude and rocky soil a
cleansing counterpoint to the warm end of the harvest: precise, fine, classy. -
- Chablis Premier Cru "Montée de Tonnerre" 2016 - James Suckling - February 2018 - 93/100I love the aromas of subtle white fruits, candied lemons and flowers. Concentrated and racy. It also has a lot of depth at the super-mineral finish that goes on and on. Drink or hold.
- Chablis Premier Cru Montée de Tonnerre 2014 - Wine Advocate - 90/100.
The 2014 Chablis 1er Cru Montée de Tonnerre has a floral bouquet with white petal scents infusing the citrus fruit. The palate is ripe and rounded on the entry, with peach skin and dried mango notes; the acidity is nicely judged and cuts through the waxy textured finish. This is a pithy style of Chablis, but it is well made and I can see it benefiting from another 12-24 months in bottle.